Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about Friday:
1. RETIRED MARINE GENERAL TAPPED FOR DEFENSE CHIEF
Trump says he'll nominate James Mattis, former chief of the U.S. Central Command, to head the Pentagon.
2. TRUMP TAKES VICTORY LAP AT INDIANA FACTORY
The president-elect declares that the deal he helped work out to keep the plant from moving to Mexico is only the first of many such business gains to come in the U.S.
3. CHARTER AIRLINE SHUT DOWN
Bolivian officials indefinitely suspend all flights operated by LaMia following this week's crash of a charter jet that killed 71 people.
4. WHO'S DECIDED AGAINST SECOND TERM
French President Francois Hollande announces in a surprise TV address that he won't run in next year's election.
5. STARBUCKS CEO STEPPING DOWN
Howard Schultz joined the coffee chain more than 30 years ago and transformed it into a globally known brand.
6. WHY BAGHDAD IS HAILING OPEC DEAL TO CURTAIL OUTPUT
Higher petroleum prices are critical for Iraq, where oil revenues make up nearly 95 percent of the national budget.
7. TENSE DRAMA PLAYS OUT IN UTAH MIDDLE SCHOOL
Police say a teacher and a student talked to a 15-year-old boy who fired a shotgun at a classroom ceiling, buying time for his parents to arrive and disarm him.
8. HOW OBAMA WOULD BOOST GENDER EQUALITY
The administration declares its support for requiring women to register for the military draft.
9. AILING BUZZ ALDRIN EVACUATED FROM SOUTH POLE
Aldrin, the second man to walk on the moon, falls ill while visiting Antarctica as a tourist.
10. COSTLY MISTAKES HURT TIGER WOODS
He ruins an otherwise impressive return to golf with two double bogeys over the final three holes for a 1-over 73 at the Hero World Challenge.