10 Things to Know for Friday
Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about Friday:
1. POLICE FIRE BEAN BAGS AND PEPPER SPRAY TO EVICT PIPELINE PROTESTERS
Cody Hall, a spokesman for protesters opposing the Dakota Access oil pipeline in North Dakota, says they will continue efforts to block the project.
2. PLANE CARRYING MIKE PENCE SLIDES OFF RUNWAY AT LAGUARDIA AIRPORT
The Republican vice presidential candidate told reporters he's fine and no one on board appears injured.
3. WHAT HAPPENED AFTER ACQUITTAL OF OREGON STANDOFF LEADERS
A defense attorney for Ammon Bundy was hit by a stun gun and tackled by federal authorities after he kept yelling at the judge, demanding his client be released immediately.
4. TRUMP DENOUNCES THE CLINTONS AS CREATURES OF CORRUPTION
Trump seized on newly public emails in which Bill Clinton aide Doug Band describes overlapping relationships of the Clintons' global philanthropy and the family's private enrichment.
5. MICHELLE OBAMA EMBRACES 'MY GIRL' HILLARY CLINTON
In their first joint appearance on the campaign trail, the two women sought to celebrate their political marriage of mutual interest, and reassure voters it's real.
6. WHAT IRAQI FORCES FOUND IN A VILLAGE NEAR MOSUL
The troops explored a network of tunnels and uncovered a bomb-making facility, offering a glimpse of the challenge they will face as they move closer to the city.
7. OPPOSITION, GOVERNMENT SUPPORTERS FACE OFF IN VENEZUELA
Government foes are calling for a general strike on Friday but a powerful socialist leader warns that the military will seize any businesses that participate.
8. WHO TRUMP PICKED TO TEACH SUCCESS AT TRUMP UNIVERSITY
An AP investigation found that dozens of those hired by the company had checkered pasts, including convictions for cocaine trafficking or child molestation.
9. TWITTER CUTS STAFF, KILLS OFF VINE APP AMID PRESSURE TO GROW
Twitter has failed to keep pace with rivals Facebook, Snapchat and Instagram and in recent months, rumors abounded that it would be acquired.
10. WHAT CRANBERRIES ARE NOT GOOD FOR
Cranberry capsules didn't prevent or cure urinary infections in nursing home residents in a study challenging persistent unproven claims to the contrary.