Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about Friday:
1. HOMELAND SECURITY CHIEF SAYS MILITARY WON'T BE USED FOR DEPORTATIONS
Only hours John Kelly spoke in Mexico City, President Donald Trump suggested the opposite, telling CEOs at the White House the deportation push was a "military operation."
2. MALAYSIA SAYS NERVE AGENT USED IN KILLING OF NORTH KOREAN
Police said the banned chemical weapon VX nerve agent was detected on the face of Kim Jong Nam, the half-brother of North Korea's leader.
3. PROTESTERS CLEARED FROM DAKOTA ACCESS PIPELINE CAMP
Officers and National Guardsmen searched tents and arrested dozens of holdouts who had defied a government order to leave.
4. WHY IRAQI FORCES ADVANCED CAUTIOUSLY TO RETAKE MOSUL AIRPORT
The approach stood in sharp contrast to the first days of Iraqi forces' swift push into Mosul from the east, where they were hit with heavy IS counterattacks.
5. HOW DEMOCRATS HOPE TO HARNESS ANTI-TRUMP MOVEMENTS
At their annual meeting, leaders are talking about how to maximize the anti-Trump surge that began with demonstrations last month and has continued at town halls across the country.
6. TRUMP ADMINISTRATION SAYS IT WILL CRACKDOWN ON RECREATIONAL MARIJUANA
The White House says the Justice Department will step up enforcement of federal law against recreational marijuana, offering the strongest indication to date of a looming crackdown on the drug.
7. SYRIA'S WARRING SIDES MEET FACE-TO-FACE IN UN TALKS
The U.N. envoy said the first such encounter in three years was a historic chance to end a conflict that has left hundreds of thousands dead.
8. WHERE PROTESTS AROSE AFTER OFF-DUTY OFFICER FIRES GUN IN SCUFFLE WITH BOY
Police in Anaheim defended their decision to arrest two teens, but not the officer, who detained the 13-year-old boy after believing the boy threatened him.
9. WHY CAR SHOPPING IS ABOUT MORE THAN KICKING THE TIRES
The rapidly evolving in-car infotainment and navigation systems can be bewildering for all but the most tech-savvy car buyers.
10. #OSCARSSOWHITE NOT IN THE PAST DESPITE DIVERSE 2017 NOMINEES
While it was a banner year for black nominees, other nonwhite groups and women were largely left out of the running.