skip to nav skip to content
10 Things to Know for Friday
Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about Friday:
1. HOW OBAMA IS DEFENDING DRONE STRIKES
The attacks are legal, effective and necessary as threats evolve, he says in a speech outlining America's post-war counterterror policies.
2. BOY SCOUTS END BAN ON GAY YOUTHS
The decision is unlikely to end a bitter debate over the Scouts' membership policies.
3. IRS OFFICIAL PLACED ON LEAVE
Lois Lerner is removed from her high-level post a day after she refused to answer lawmakers' questions about the IRS targeting tea party groups.
4. JODI ARIAS' FATE STILL UNDECIDED
The judge dismisses the jury after it fails to agree on a sentence for the convicted murderer. A new panel likely will be seated
5. LONDON SUSPECT KNOWN TO HARD-LINERS
The former head of a radical group says the man seen waving his bloodied hands on video is a Christian who converted to Islam around 2003.
6. WHERE TERROR BRIGADE MIGHT HAVE STRUCK AGAIN
The group that led the attack on a gas plant in Algeria claims responsibility for a new attack on a French-operated mine in Niger.
7. CHILDREN FACE THEIR OWN TORNADO CLEANUP
Students from a destroyed Oklahoma elementary school reunite with their teachers and collect whatever can be salvaged.
8. I'M NOT RACIST OR ANYTHING, BUT...
Can a person make a racist comment and not be a racist? Researchers find that many people - of all backgrounds - are unaware of their own biases.
9. WHO'S GOT A NEW IDEA TO COMBAT CHILDHOOD OBESITY
The prestigious Institute of Medicine says schools need to make sure kids get at least an hour of physical activity each day - and PE should become a core subject.
10. COCKROACHES SAYING `YUCK' INSTEAD OF `YUM'
Evolving at warp speed, the bugs have learned to avoid sugar-flavored pesticides, researchers say.