Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about Thursday:
1. TRUMP PLACING RISKY BET IN QUEST FOR WHITE HOUSE
He's doubling down on the proposition that his brand of fiery populism gives him a better shot at the presidency than uniting his party and rallying moderate voters.
2. 'IT HIT HARD. IT HIT FAST'
A ferocious wildfire in Southern California races up and down canyon hillsides, instantly engulfing homes and forcing thousands of people to flee.
3. FLOOD BRINGS HOUSING CRISIS TO LOUISIANA
With an estimated 40,000 homes damaged by high water, the state could be facing its biggest housing crunch since the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina a decade ago.
4. WHAT'S SURE TO ENRAGE PYONGYANG
A senior North Korean diplomat based in London defects to South Korea, becoming one of the highest Northern officials to do so.
5. MAJOR COMPANIES RUSH TO UPDATE DEFENSES AGAINST HACKERS
The leak of what purports to be a National Security Agency hacking tool kit has set the information security world atwitter.
6. BLAZE ABOARD CRUISE SHIP FORCES EVACUATIONS
Five hundred passengers and crew are hustled off the Caribbean Fantasy near Puerto Rico after fuel from a broken hose catches fire.
7. BIG 'FLYING BUM' SENT ALOFT FOR FIRST TIME
A blimp-shaped, helium-filled airship considered the world's largest aircraft takes a short but historic jaunt over an airfield in central England.
8. WHY MORE PEOPLE ARE LEAVING THEIR BODIES TO SCIENCE
The trend is attributed to rising funeral costs and growing acceptance of a practice long seen by some as ghoulish.
9. ARTHUR HILLER DIES AT 92
The director received an Oscar nomination for the hugely popularly romantic tragedy "Love Story" during a career that spanned dozens of popular movies and TV shows.
10. WHO'S LOOKING LIKE THEIR OLD SELVES
Ending a stretch of three close games, the U.S. men's basketball team powers into the semifinals of the Olympics, beating Argentina 105-78.