10 Things to Know for Today
Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today:
1. ISLAMIC STATE GROUP WAGING SCORCHED EARTH CAMPAIGN
Two months after the liberation of Ramadi, the AP learns that the city remains too devastated and full of explosive booby traps for former residents to return.
2. NORTH KOREA'S ELITE GATHER IN PYONGYANG FOR BIGGEST POLITICAL CONFERENCE IN DECADES
Foreign experts say Kim Jong Un will likely use the meeting to push his expansion of a nuclear arsenal that already worries his neighbors and Washington.
3. WHY TRUMP'S PROMISE TO RESTORE COAL-MINING JOBS MIGHT BE HARD TO KEEP
To do so, he would, if elected, have to undo regulations and reverse the power market's embrace of cheap natural gas.
4. US MOVING TO RETURN RIGHT OF CONSUMERS TO SUE BANKS
The nation's financial regulator proposes a ban on clauses found in almost every credit card agreement, mortgage, bank account and other financial product.
5. WHAT'S TO BLAME FOR RAGING WILDFIRES IN CANADIAN CITY OF FORT MCMURRAY
Unseasonably hot temperatures combined with dry conditions have transformed the forest in much of Alberta into a tinder box.
6. MUSLIM JOURNALIST INFILTRATES FRENCH ISLAMIC STATE CELL WITH HIDDEN CAMERA
The documentary takes an extraordinary inside look at the group, which was dismantled in the final stages of planning an attack.
7. AS OBAMA'S TERM WINDS DOWN, 'OBAMACARE' LOSING ADHERENTS
Many Democrats are finding less to like about the president's health care law, unsure about its place among their party's achievements.
8. PRINCE REPS REACHED OUT TO ADDICTION EXPERT
A northern California doctor who is an addiction and pain specialist was asked to help the superstar entertainer just before his sudden death.
9. WHICH LIVESTREAM SHOW IS BIG HIT IN SOUTH KOREA
The stars of the latest online TV sensation in the country are stray cats, eating food left out for them as viewers sit enraptured by their feline charms.
10. CLEVELAND SETS NBA RECORD FOR 3-POINTERS
The Cavaliers pour in 25 3s - the most in any game, regular or postseason - in a runaway win over the Atlanta Hawks in Game 2 of their playoff series.