10 Things to Know for Today
Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today:
1. OBAMA HOLDS TALKS ON SECURITY, HUMAN RIGHTS IN ETHIOPIA
He's the first sitting American president to visit the East African nation.
2. UNITED STATES AND TURKEY AIM TO PUSH ISLAMIC STATE GROUP FROM NORTHERN SYRIA
A U.S. official, however, says the move will not include the imposition of a no-fly zone.
3. REMEMBERING YOUNG WOMEN SHOT AT MOVIES
The local business owner and radiology student slain by a gunman inside a Louisiana movie theater are laid to rest.
4. AP TRACKS MISSING SLAVE FISHING BOATS TO PAPUA NEW GUINEA
These trawlers fled a slave island in Indonesia 1,000 miles away with captives of a brutal trafficking ring whose catch reaches the U.S.
5. HOW CLINTON HOPES TO COMBAT CLIMATE CHANGE
The presidential candidate's strategies include revisions in the tax code to promote renewable energy.
6. WHY AFGHANISTAN BANS TOY GUNS
At least 184 people, nearly all children, suffer eye injuries over the recent Eid al-Fitr holiday from toy weapons that fire BB pellets and rubber shot, health officials say.
7. AUTOPSY PLANNED FOR BOBBI KRISTINA BROWN
The Medical Examiner's Office says the time that elapsed from when she was found unresponsive in January until her death Sunday will "complicate" its effort to reconstruct events.
8. COLOMBIA UNEARTHS LANDFILL LOOKING FOR SCORES OF DISAPPEARED
Experts will begin removing 31,000 cubic yards of rubble from La Escombrera, where the remains of as many as 300 people are believed to have been dumped and which could be the country's biggest mass grave.
9. WHAT IS BEING CALLED THE LARGEST-EVER ACQUISITION BY AN ISRAELI COMPANY
Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd. is purchasing Dublin-based Allergan PLC's generic pharmaceuticals business for $40.5 billion.
10. NON-COOL EAST PORTLAND SEEKS GREATER REPRESENTATION
A part of the city known for fashionable hipsters and devotion to public transit counters the narrative of livable, weird, predominantly white `Portlandia.'