10 Things to Know for Tuesday
Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about Tuesday:
1. STATE OF EMERGENCY DECLARED IN BALTIMORE
Rioting and looting erupt in the city following the funeral for Freddie Gray, a black man who died after suffering an injury in police custody.
2. WHO'S STILL WAITING FOR HELP AFTER NEPAL EARTHQUAKE
Two days later, rescue workers still haven't been able to reach people in mountain villages.
3. HEALTH OFFICIALS CALL FOR LESS FLUORIDE IN DRINKING WATER
The U.S. government - changing its recommended level of the chemical for the first time in 50 years - says fluoride is giving some children splotchy teeth.
4. SUPREME COURT TAKING UP GAY MARRIAGE
All eyes will be on the justices for any signals that they are prepared to rule that the Constitution forbids states from defining marriage as the union of a man and a woman.
5. HOW GREED IS FUELING RISE IN HUMAN TRAFFICKING
Such smuggling now probably rivals the drug trade as a lucrative business for criminal gangs around the world, one expert tells the AP.
6. OBAMA, ABE TO MEET - WITH CHINA THE ELEPHANT IN ROOM
China's rise underlies both the economic and security discussions that will highlight the Japanese prime minister's state visit to the White House.
7. PROSECUTOR: 2 PSYCHIATRIC TESTS FOUND COLORADO THEATER GUNMAN SANE
But the attorney for James Holmes counters that 20 doctors who examined him in custody all agree he suffers from schizophrenia, which compelled him to kill.
8. WHAT APPLE'S LATEST BLOW-OUT EARNINGS PROVE
The iPhone continues to fuel the tech giant's financial engine, accounting for more than two-thirds of its $58 billion in revenue for the first quarter.
9. JAYNE MEADOWS DIES AT 95
Though best known as Steve Allen's wife and the sister of "Honeymooners" star Audrey Meadows, the actress enjoyed a solid career of her own in movies and on Broadway.
10. WHERE JOSH HAMILTON IS RETURNING
The slugger heads back to the Texas Rangers after two troublesome years with the Los Angeles Angels - and less than halfway through a $125 million contract.