Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about Wednesday:
1. FORMER ISRAELI PRESIDENT SHIMON PERES DIES
The statesman, who was celebrated around the world as a Nobel prize-winning visionary who pushed his country toward peace, has died at 93.
2. WHO'S ON THE DEFENSIVE AFTER DEBATE
Donald Trump gives Hillary Clinton plenty of fresh material for the next phase of her presidential campaign, choosing to publicly reopen and relitigate some her most damaging attacks.
3. WHICH CANDIDATE VOTERS THINK IS MOST FIT TO LEAD
An AP-GfK poll shows registered voters are buying into Donald Trump's assertions that he's more physically fit to be president than Hillary Clinton.
4. WHY CLINTON NEEDS WOMEN TO TURN OUT
They're a crucial voting bloc for the Democrat, and her team believes Trump's aggressiveness and interruptions in the opening debate will help her motivate them.
5. WHAT RECORD WAS BROKEN DURING THE DEBATE
Nielsen says 84 million people watched it on TV, beating the mark that had stood since the Carter-Reagan debate in 1980.
6. SYRIA'S GOVERNMENT AND RUSSIA MOVE ON ALEPPO
They're seizing the moment to recapture Aleppo, unleashing the most destructive bombardment of the past five years, with indiscriminate airstrikes that the U.N. says may amount to a war crime.
7. HOW THREE PEOPLE MADE A BABY
Scientists say the first infant has been born from a controversial new technique that combines DNA from three sources - the mother, the father and an egg donor.
8. SPACEX CHIEF ENVISIONS 1,000 PASSENGER SHIPS FLYING TO THE RED PLANET
Elon Musk calls it the Mars Colonial fleet, and he says it could become reality within a century.
9. COURT DOCUMENT SHOWS BLACK MAN KILLED BY CHARLOTTE COP HAD THREATENED WIFE
Keith Scott had a restraining order filed against him a year ago when he threatened to kill his wife and her son with a gun, according to court documents.
10. FRIEND TEXTED WORRIES ABOUT BOATING WITH MARLINS' FERNANDEZ
A Miami bar and restaurant confirmed that the star pitcher was a patron at the riverside establishment before he and two friends were killed in a boat crash.