Post-Athenian
 LATEST NEWS
 Top Stories
 U.S.
  Severe Weather
  Bird Flu
 World
  Castro
  Mideast Crisis
  Iraq
 Business
 Personal Finance
 Technology
 Sports
  Sports Columns
  NASCAR
  Baseball
  College Hoops
  NBA
  NHL
  Tennis
  Golf
 Entertainment
 Health
 Science
 Politics
 Washington
 Offbeat
 Podcasts
 Blogs
 Weather
 Raw News
 NEWS SEARCH
 
 Archive Search
 SPECIAL SECTIONS
 Multimedia Gallery
 AP Video Network
 Today
 in History
 Corrections
Jul 7, 7:48 AM EDT

Taliban attacks in Kabul target intel compound, NATO convoy



Buy AP Photo Reprints
Latest News
Taliban attacks in Kabul target intel compound, NATO convoy

AP Interview: Iran ambassador: Nuke deal could benefit Kabul

Afghans protest court ruling in mob killing of woman

The Latest: Attack on NATO convoy in Afghanistan kills 2

Pakistan rejects Afghan allegations about parliament attack

Multimedia
US troops spending Christmas

KABUL, Afghanistan (AP) -- The Taliban staged two separate suicide bombings on Tuesday in Kabul, killing at least one person and wounded three, including a NATO soldier, Afghan officials said.

In one attack, a suicide bomber on a motorcycle struck at the gate of an intelligence facility in the eastern part of the Afghan capital, according to Abdul Hassib Sediqi, the spokesman for the National Directorate of Security.

The explosion killed one of the soldiers guarding the compound and wounded another. After the bomber detonated his explosives, two other attackers, both on foot, opened fire at the troops guarding the compound, Sediqi added. Both attackers were swiftly shot and killed by the guards.

Earlier in the day, a suicide car bomber targeted a NATO convoy near the same area, wounding at least two people, damaging several cars and shattering windows on several buildings.

The Taliban claimed responsibility for both attacks.

A NATO spokesman in Kabul, Col. Brian Tribus, confirmed the attack on the coalition convoy, which took place shortly before noon and said the alliance was gathering more information on the incident.

One of the wounded in the convoy attack was an Afghan civilian while the second person was from the convoy, said Gen. Abdul Rahman Rahimi, the city's police chief who was at the scene of the blast. He did not elaborate.

In a text message to media, Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid said that attack had targeted a "foreign car."

U.S. and NATO combat troops pulled out of the country at the end of last year, leaving full security responsibility in the hands of Afghan forces. The coalition has remained in Afghanistan in a training and support role.

Since then, the Taliban have stepped up attacks targeting Afghan officials, soldiers and local security forces.

In other violence, in southern Helmand province late on Monday night, three police officers were killed and two were wounded when Taliban insurgents attacked their checkpoint in Gershk district, said Abdul Qayum Qayum, the Gershk district police chief. Six Taliban insurgents were also killed during the ensuing fighting at the checkpoint, he added.

© 2015 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. Learn more about our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.