Jul 26, 6:56 AM EDT

A film production company has admitted health and safety breaches over an accident on the set of "Star Wars: The Force Awakens" in which Harrison Ford broke his leg

AP Photo
AP Photo/Rob Griffith

Multimedia
Oscars 2010: Nominations
Oscars 2009:
Red Carpet
Oscars 2009: Red Carpet Panorama
Roman Polanski timeilne
Latest Movie News
Review: "Gleason," Clay Tweel's documentary about ex-football star Steve Gleason's battle with ALS, could so easily have turned into a gooey pile of Hallmark aphorisms, but it refuses to be maudlin

Logan Lerman, 24, is already one of the most sought-after young actors in Hollywood

Antoine Fuqua's "The Magnificent Seven" remake starring Denzel Washington and Chris Pratt will open the 41st Toronto International Film Festival

Egyptian film director Mohammed Khan, whose realism shed light on country's urban landscape since 1980s, dead at 73

A film production company has admitted health and safety breaches over an accident on the set of "Star Wars: The Force Awakens" in which Harrison Ford broke his leg

Document
Paris Hilton in Federal Court: Deposition
Paris Hilton in Federal Court: Exhibit 56

LONDON (AP) -- A film production company on Tuesday admitted health and safety breaches over an accident on the set of "Star Wars: The Force Awakens" that broke the leg of star Harrison Ford.

The actor was struck by a hydraulic door on the set of the Millennium Falcon - his character Han Solo's spaceship - at Pinewood Studios near London in June 2014. He was airlifted to a hospital for surgery.

During a hearing at Milton Keynes Magistrates' Court in Britain, prosecutor Andrew Marshall said the door "could have killed somebody" had an emergency stop button not been hit. Britain's Health and Safety Executive said the metal-framed door struck Ford with a power comparable to the weight of a small car.

Foodles Production Ltd, which is owned by the Walt Disney Co., admitted two breaches of health and safety law, although its lawyer, Angus Withington, said Foodles would contest the level of risk involved.

The company will be sentenced next month.

Production on the film was suspended for two weeks after the accident to Ford, who was 71 at the time.

"The Force Awakens" is the seventh installment in the space saga and has taken more than $2 billion at the worldwide box office since its release last year.

Filming is underway on the eighth Star Wars film, directed by Rian Johnson and due for release in 2017.

© 2016 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. Learn more about our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.