AP Radio AP Radio News:

May 16, 8:03 AM EDT

German federal prosecutors hand off Dortmund attack probe


Latest News
German parliament group scraps Turkey trip at last minute

The Latest: Security high in Berlin ahead of Obama visit

Germany detain 9 men, 4 tied to violent extremism

Germany: Committed to meeting NATO defense spending goals

German prosecutors to search Daimler offices in diesel probe

Multimedia
Exhibit Honors Soviet Photographer
Interactive
Berlin Wall: 20 Years Later

BERLIN (AP) -- German federal prosecutors say they're handing off the investigation of last month's attack on the Borussia Dortmund team bus after determining that there was no terrorist motive.

Federal investigators said Tuesday that Dortmund prosecutors are taking over the probe of the April 11 attack on the soccer team's bus as it headed to a Champions League match.

A 28-year-old German-Russian man was arrested April 21. Prosecutors have said he took out a five-figure loan to bet that Borussia Dortmund shares would drop, then bombed the bus in an attack he tried to disguise as Islamic terrorism.

Federal prosecutors said the attack apparently was committed "solely because of financial interests" so the case can't be considered "a crime against the state of particular significance," which would make it their responsibility.

© 2017 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. Learn more about our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.