News | Classifieds | Community |Directory | Today's Ads | RICentral.com
 

AP
  Breaking news
  Nation
  World
  Business
  Technology
  Politics
  Health
  Sports
  Multimedia
  Movies & music
News
Classifieds
Business Directory
Our Newspaper
Subscription Info
Personals
Newsstand
Message Board
Sports Wire!
Fun and Games
Shopping
Consumer Guide
Personal Finance
Lifestyles
USA Weekend

Sep 19, 4:25 PM EDT

Lawyer: EU court agrees to hear Berlusconi appeal

World Video

Interactive
The aftermath of the Italian earthquake
Latest News
Lawyer: EU court agrees to hear Berlusconi appeal

Italian marine returns home for medical treatment

Pope urges world to shed apathy toward new threats

Italy offers refueling planes for US airstrikes

Italy activists denounce death of mother bear

Buy AP Photo Reprints

ROME (AP) -- A lawyer for ex-Premier Silvio Berlusconi said Friday the European Court for Human Rights has agreed to take up one point of an appeal related to a tax fraud conviction that cost him his Senate seat.

Attorney Piero Longo said the Strasbourg, France-based court agreed to examine Berlusconi's claim that the rules of a fair trial had been violated in his case.

Berlusconi was sentenced in 2013 to four years in prison on a tax fraud conviction relating to the purchase of TV rights to U.S. films on his Mediaset network. His sentence, upheld by Italy's highest court, was reduced to one year, which he is currently serving by performing public service once a week at a home for the elderly.

After the sentence was upheld, Berlusconi was ousted from parliament under a 2012 law that prevents anyone sentenced to more than two years from holding or running for public office for at least six years.

Berlusconi has long maintained his innocence and insisted he has been the victim of left-leaning magistrates.

His Strasbourg appeal centered on the argument that in applying the 2012 law retroactively, Italy violated European norms by imposing a heavier penalty on him than was applicable at the time of the crime.

Italian news agency ANSA, which first reported Longo's announcement, said several elements of Berlusconi's appeal had been rejected by the court in recent months.

Calls to spokespeople at the court went unanswered late Friday.

The court's rulings are binding on the 47 member states of the Council of Europe, the continent's human rights watchdog of which Italy is a member. In most cases, the court only imposes fines or calls for subtle changes to laws.

© 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. Learn more about our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.


Return to
local news ...


 Pawtucket Times
 RICentral.com
News | Classifieds | Directory | Today's Ads | RICentral.com