AP Radio AP Radio News:

Aug 2, 2:57 PM EDT

Man convicted of Briton's murder in Italy seeks new trial


Interactive
The aftermath of the Italian earthquake
Latest News
Self-radicalized Tunisian held in Italy on terror suspicion

Italian law promotes doggy bags to cut down on food waste

Italian investigators suspect IS role in Libya migrant flows

Italy ready to allow strikes on IS in Libya from its bases

Syrian, said to have extremist aims, detained in Genoa

ROME (AP) -- Lawyers for a man from the Ivory Coast who is serving 16 years in an Italian prison for the 2007 murder of a British student are seeking a new trial.

Rudy Hermann Guede was convicted of the slaying of Meredith Kercher in Perugia, Italy, where she was sharing an apartment with U.S. student Amanda Knox. Guede has denied killing Kercher.

Italian media said the lawyers filed the request Tuesday, contending their client is innocent. They also noted Knox and Raffaele Sollecito, who steadfastly proclaimed innocence, were definitely acquitted last year by Italy's highest criminal court.

Guede's conviction ruled he committed homicide "acting with others," but he's the only one to be definitively convicted of the slaying.

It's unclear if a new trial could be granted since he exhausted his appeals.

© 2016 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. Learn more about our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.



Latest News






Advertisement