Feb 14, 11:49 PM EST

Denver rallies to tie North Dakota 3-3, win shootout

GRAND FORKS, N.D. (AP) -- Sophomore forward Trevor Moore rallied ninth-ranked Denver to a 3-3 tie and shootout win over No. 2 North Dakota Saturday in the National Collegiate Hockey Conference.

Moore, whose ill-timed major penalty in the first period put the Pioneers in a 2-0 hole, scored two goals and got the only goal in a three-player shootout as Denver avoided its first sweep by UND since 2008.

UND led 3-1 after two periods but Moore and Tariq Hammond scored in the third to send the game to overtime. Moore also scored in the second period for the Pioneers (16-10-2, 9-8-1-1).

UND coach Dave Hakstol said Hammond's goal just 3:50 into the period was the game changer.

"The first three or four minutes of the (third) period is what got us," Hakstol said. "We weren't on our toes to start the third period. I don't think we had our foot on the gas."

Drake Caggiula scored in the second period to give UND (20-6-3, 11-5-2-0) a 3-1 lead. He was shaken up in the first period and helped from the ice on a play that led to UND's early lead.

North Dakota took advantage of an early five-minute major penalty. Moore was given the major penalty for clipping Caggiula, causing him to somersault. Caggiula left the ice with help but returned later.

Just 41 seconds into the power play, UND defenseman Keaton Thompson netted his first goal of the season at 15:26 from a tough angle. "It was an unbelievable pass, I was just lucky to get it through," Thompson said.

Twenty-seven seconds later, Nick Mattson scored his second goal of the season.

Moore cut the lead in half with a goal just 3:57 into the second period. He took a feed through traffic and redirected it past UND goalie Zane McIntyre.

But it took Caggiula less than two minutes to answer when he broke in on Denver goalie Evan Cowley and scored while losing his balance and falling in front of the net.

North Dakota's unbeaten streak when leading after two periods (17-0-2) and in Saturday games (14-0-2) remained intact, but it took a video replay to send the game to a shootout.

With less than two seconds to play, Quentin Shore appeared to score a goal that knocked McIntyre's water bottle off the net. But replay showed the puck going over the net and hitting the bottle before bouncing into the crowd.

McIntyre made two saves in OT, while Cowley did not have to make a stop.

Cowley made 35 saves. He stopped Michael Parks, Luke Johnson and Caggiula in the shootout.

McIntyre made 34 saves for UND. He gave up Moore's backhander as the first shooter in the shootout, then stopped Nolan Zajac.

The tie, combined with Nebraska-Omaha's win over Western Michigan and Miami's win over Colorado College, leave UND, UNO and Miami locked in a three-way tie for the NCHC lead.

"This is a top-10 team in the country and they pushed hard," Hakstol said. "We let that two-goal lead slip to a one-goal lead too easily. It was a heck of a finish for them."

© 2015 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. Learn more about our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.