Apr 24, 8:11 AM EDT

Israel says Istanbul bomber did not target Israelis


Multimedia
Assault on Gaza: Mapping the attacks
Gaza assault takes its toll on children
A closer look at Hamas
Latest News
Israel demolishes home of Palestinian who killed 2 Israelis

Survey finds bribery runs highest among courts in Mideast

Gaza militants say 1 killed in training accident

Palestinians blast Eurovision Song Contest's flag policy

Israel treads carefully with claim to Golan

PHOTO GALLERY
AP Photo

Conflict in the Middle East

Photo Gallery
Attack on U.S. consulate in Istanbul

JERUSALEM (AP) -- Israel's counterterrorism bureau says the suicide bomber who killed three Israeli tourists in Istanbul last month did not specifically target Israelis but was taking aim at tourism in Turkey in general.

The bureau, connected to the Israeli prime minister's office, recently issued a travel advisory for Turkey, warning Israeli citizens to leave as soon as possible and avoid traveling there. The travel advisory remains in place despite the new security assessment.

The bureau said Sunday that Israeli security agencies carried out a monthlong investigation into the blast, which took place next to an Israeli culinary tour group and also killed an Iranian tourist.

Turkey identified the bomber as having links to the Islamic State group.

© 2016 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. Learn more about our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.