Aug 20, 11:40 PM EDT

Judge: 13-year-old girl accused of starting San Diego-area wildfire is fit to stand trial

US Video

Buy AP Photo Reprints
PHOTO GALLERY
AP Photo

Wildfires

Multimedia
Wildfires threaten Calif. homes
Real-time wildfire tracker.
Wildfires Consume L.A. Homes
Pasadena Wildfire Forces More Evacuations
Wildfire Mentors Aid Victims
Headlines
Feds say balance struck in plan for logging trees that were downed by California wildfire

Fire destroys New Jersey home apparently operating as pet-sitting business; 9 dogs killed

Bend, Oregon, teenager's drone flight among those that worried firefighter crews

Greek firefighters bring under partial control large forest blaze that threatened 4 villages

Crews make gains against wildfire burning near California Gold Rush-era boomtown

Multimedia
Battling station fire in California

SAN DIEGO (AP) -- A judge on Wednesday ruled that a 13-year-old girl is competent to stand trial on allegations that she deliberately started a wildfire that destroyed three dozen homes north of San Diego in May.

The judge made the ruling in a brief hearing in juvenile court, where the girl pleaded not guilty to three felony counts of arson and one misdemeanor count of unlawfully allowing a fire to escape from one's control.

A judge had ordered last month that the girl from San Marcos be psychologically evaluated to determine if she is fit to stand trial.

The girl's attorney, Ryan McGlinn, told Superior Court Judge Rod Shelton that a doctor had evaluated the child and recommended she be found competent, and Shelton agreed, according to U-T San Diego ( http://bit.ly/1q1AsiM ).

Prosecutors allege the girl intentionally started the Cocos Fire, the most destructive of nearly a dozen wildfires that ripped through Southern California in May, which destroyed 36 homes and one business.

Prosecutors also told the girl's parents at the hearing that they may be responsible for restitution costs. While the district attorney's office didn't mention a dollar amount, the U-T reports that official estimates have put the cost of fighting the fire and lost property at $12 million.

The court has allowed that the girl's first name be published, but The Associated Press generally does not identify juvenile suspects.

She was told on Wednesday that she could remain in the care of her parents and subject to a 6 p.m. to 6 a.m. curfew and was ordered to return to court Sept. 16.

---

Information from: U-T San Diego, http://www.utsandiego.com

© 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. Learn more about our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.