AzStarNet
Oct 21, 8:03 AM EDT

Total number of US victims in Cuba attacks rises to 24



Multimedia
Timeline of Cuban American leader Pepe Hernandez
Timeline of U.S.-Cuba relations
The life of Fidel Castro
Castro on camera: Photographer discusses frequent subject
Images of Castro
Latest News
Cuba unveils US-made tribute to independence

'Star Wars' fantasy? Cubans doubt US sonic attacks claims

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The United States says two more government workers are confirmed victims in the unexplained Cuba attacks.

The State Department is increasing the official tally from 22 to 24. But State Department spokeswoman Heather Nauert says the new victims "do not reflect new attacks." She says the additional victims were confirmed following medical evaluations of workers attacked earlier in the year.

Nauert says the most recent attack is still believed to have been near the end of August. A U.S. official told The Associated Press previously that attack occurred Aug. 21. The official wasn't authorized to disclose the exact date and requested anonymity.

The State Department says it can't rule out "additional new cases."

The attacks started last year and affected American diplomats, intelligence officials and their spouses in Havana.

© 2017 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. Learn more about our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.