AP Radio AP Radio News:

Oct 12, 2:51 PM EDT

White House says Cuba could stop attacks on Americans


AP Photo
AP Photo/Susan Walsh

Multimedia
Timeline of Cuban American leader Pepe Hernandez
Timeline of U.S.-Cuba relations
The life of Fidel Castro
Castro on camera: Photographer discusses frequent subject
Images of Castro
Latest News
Cuba unveils US-made tribute to independence

'Star Wars' fantasy? Cubans doubt US sonic attacks claims

Multimedia
Audio gallery of new art at the White House

WASHINGTON (AP) -- White House chief of staff John Kelly says the United States believes that Cuban President Raul Castro's government could stop attacks on U.S. diplomats.

Kelly isn't elaborating on why the U.S. believes Cuba could stop it. Previously, the United States has said merely that it was Cuba's responsibility under international law to protect diplomats serving on its soil.

The U.S. has not accused Cuba or any other actor of perpetrating the attacks. Cuba's government has vehemently denied involvement or knowledge of the attacks.

At least 22 American government personnel are said by the U.S. to be "medically confirmed" to have been affected by the attacks. The U.S. says the number could grow.

Kelly was asked about the Cuba attacks during a press briefing at the White House.

© 2017 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. Learn more about our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.