AP Radio AP Radio News:

Mar 20, 2:22 PM EDT

Prosecutor: No charges to be filed in fatal police shooting


Document
Justice Arthur Cooperman's verdict statement in the Sean Bell case
Summons filed in civil wrongful-death case of Sean Bell
Indictment of three officers in shooting death of unarmed groom
Multimedia
Inside the Sean Bell Shooting
Arrest-related deaths by state
Multimedia
Map of police
gun deaths

DURHAM, N.C. (AP) -- A North Carolina prosecutor says no charges will be filed against three police officers involved in a fatal shooting in 2016.

News outlets report District Attorney Roger Echols in Durham County said Monday that his office found no criminal wrongdoing in the Nov. 22 shooting of 34-year-old Frank Clark at a public housing community.

A preliminary report released last year said Clark reached for his waistband while being questioned at McDougald Terrace. Officer M.D. Southerland fell to the ground during a struggle, and officer C.S. Barkley shot Clark.

The four-page report released by Echols outlines physical evidence which includes particles characteristic of gunshot residue found on Clark's hands, and witness statements that led to the decision that no charges would be filed.

© 2017 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. Learn more about our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.



Latest News