Latest Telecommunications News

FILE - In this July 9, 2018, file photo, an advertisement for Xiaomi is displayed at a subway station in Hong Kong. The U.S. government has blacklisted Chinese smartphone maker Xiaomi Corp. and China’s third-largest national oil company for alleged military links, heaping pressure on Beijing in President Donald Trump’s last week in office. The Department of Defense added nine companies to its list of Chinese companies with military links, including Xiaomi and state-owned plane manufacturer Commercial Aircraft Corp. of China (Comac). (AP Photo/Vincent Yu, File)

US blacklists Xiaomi, CNOOC, Skyrizon, raising heat on China

Jan. 15, 2021 12:38 PM EST

HONG KONG (AP) — The U.S. government has blacklisted Chinese smartphone maker Xiaomi Corp. and China’s third-largest national oil company for alleged military links, heaping pressure on Beijing in President Donald Trump’s last week in office. The Department of Defense added nine companies to...

Vermont warns about scam callers demanding utility payments

Jan. 14, 2021 2:08 PM EST

MONTPELIER, Vt. (AP) — The Department of Public Service is warning Vermonters about scam callers demanding payments and threatening to disconnect utility service. Vermont currently has a moratorium on disconnection for nonpayment of regulated natural gas, electric and traditional landline telephone...

This photo provided by Samsung shows the Galaxy S21 Ultra. Samsung’s next crop of smartphones will boast bigger screens, better cameras, and longer-lasting batteries at lower prices than than last year’s lineup that came out just before the pandemic toppled the economy. The three Galaxy S21 phones unveiled Thursday, Jan. 14, 2021 during a virtual event will face similar challenges in an economy still hobbled by the COVID-19 crisis. (Samsung via AP)

Samsung promises new phones will deliver more for less money

Jan. 14, 2021 11:34 AM EST

SAN RAMON, Calif. (AP) — Samsung’s next crop of smartphones will boast bigger screens, better cameras, and longer-lasting batteries at lower prices than last year's lineup that came out just before the pandemic toppled the economy. The three Galaxy S21 phones unveiled Thursday at a virtual event...

This photo shows the main page of HKChronicles website, seen in Yokohama, Japan, Thursday, Jan. 14, 2021. A Hong Kong internet service provider on Thursday, said it had blocked access to a pro-democracy website to comply with the city’s national security law. In a statement emailed on Thursday, Hong Kong Broadband Network said that it had disabled access to HKChronicles, a website which compiled information on “yellow” shops that had supported the city's pro-democracy movement and released personal information and pictures of police and pro-Beijing supporters as part of a doxxing effort during anti-government protests in 2019. (AP Photo)

Hong Kong internet firm blocked website over security law

Jan. 14, 2021 6:36 AM EST

HONG KONG (AP) — A Hong Kong internet service provider on Thursday said it had blocked access to a pro-democracy website to comply with the city’s national security law. In a statement emailed on Thursday, Hong Kong Broadband Network said that it had disabled access to HKChronicles, a website which...

Security forces patrol the streets near opposition leader Bobi Wine headquarters in Kampala, Uganda Wednesday, Jan. 13, 2021.The United States ambassador to Uganda said Wednesday the embassy has canceled plans to observe the country's tense presidential election on Thursday, citing a decision by electoral authorities to deny accreditation to most members of the observation team.(AP Photo/Jerome Delay)

Internet 'blackout' in Uganda on eve of tense election

Jan. 13, 2021 1:12 PM EST

KAMPALA, Uganda (AP) — Ugandan authorities appeared to cut off internet access in the country Wednesday night on the eve of a tense presidential election, while a lawyer for leading opposition candidate Bobi Wine said all contact had been lost with him. “Confirmed: Uganda is now in the midst of a...

Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., holds a news conference on the day after violent protesters loyal to President Donald Trump stormed the U.S. Congress, at the Capitol in Washington, Thursday, Jan. 7, 2021. (AP Photo/J. Scott Applewhite)

The Latest: Pelosi ties rioters' actions to 'whiteness'

Jan. 9, 2021 6:50 PM EST

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Latest on the fallout of the storming of the Capitol by a mob of pro-Trump loyalists (all times local): 4:20 p.m. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi is accusing the Trump supporters who rioted in the Capitol this week of choosing “their whiteness over democracy.” The California...

Lawyers: New Mexico trying to comply with education needs

Jan. 8, 2021 12:54 PM EST

SANTA FE, N.M. (AP) — The New Mexico Public Education Department is working with school districts and internet providers to expand broadband access in rural areas struggling with remote learning, according to lawyers for the state. In a response filed in court this week, the lawyers also said school...

New Mexico company announces completion of rural fiber line

Jan. 7, 2021 2:11 PM EST

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (AP) — Rural telecommunications company Sacred Wind Communications has announced it has completed the first-ever redundant fiber line connecting Albuquerque and Gallup in New Mexico. Sacred Wind CEO John Badal said in the announcement Wednesday that the new line will connect hospitals,...

FILE - In this Oct. 14, 2020 file photo, staff members wearing face masks to protect against the spread of the coronavirus use their smartphones at a display from Chinese telecommunications firm China Mobile at the PT Expo in Beijing.  The New York Stock Exchange is going ahead with plans to delist shares of three Chinese state-owned phone carriers under an executive order from President Donald Trump.  The exchange said trading in the three companies, China Telecom Corp. Ltd., China Mobile Ltd. and China Unicom Hong Kong Ltd., will be suspended after the markets close on Jan. 11, 2021. 
 (AP Photo/Mark Schiefelbein, File)

In flip-flop, NYSE will delist 3 Chinese companies after all

Jan. 6, 2021 10:47 AM EST

NEW YORK (AP) — The New York Stock Exchange is going ahead with plans to delist shares of three Chinese state-owned phone carriers under an executive order from President Donald Trump, reversing course just days after saying they wouldn't be delisted. The exchange said trading in the three companies, China...

FILE - In this Oct. 14, 2020, file photo, people wearing face masks to protect against the spread of the coronavirus talk on their cellphones near a booth for Chinese telecommunications firm China Mobile at the PT Expo in Beijing. The New York Stock Exchange says it is withdrawing plans to remove shares of three Chinese state-owned phone carriers under an order by President Donald Trump.(AP Photo/Mark Schiefelbein, File)

NYSE withdraws plans to delist 3 Chinese phone carriers

Jan. 5, 2021 5:21 AM EST

BEIJING (AP) — The New York Stock Exchange has withdrawn plans to delist shares of three Chinese state-owned phone carriers. The shares were to be removed under an order from President Donald Trump, a move Beijing had warned might lead to retaliation. The exchange cited “further consultation”...