VANCOUVER, Wash. (AP) — Dozens of men staying at a Vancouver homeless shelter have been displaced by a small fire.
The Columbian reports the blaze at Share House was reported at 10:50 p.m. Tuesday and that 58 residents were evacuated.
Share Deputy Director Amy Reynolds says the fire started on the top floor in a room shared by two residents.
Reynolds says the fire was extinguished quickly but the resulting water damage was significant.
Share Orchards Inn and Share Homestead, the nonprofit's two family shelters, and St. Paul Lutheran Church have taken in the displaced Share House residents until the fire marshal approves reopening the building.
Vancouver Fire Marshal Heidi Scarpelli says an improperly discarded cigarette caused the fire.
Share House is the only shelter for single men in Clark County that is open daily.
Information from: The Columbian, http://www.columbian.com