LAS VEGAS (AP) — A state court judge in Las Vegas postponed for 60 days a hearing about condemned killer Zane Floyd’s legal challenges of the method, the personnel and the drugs that would be used to kill him.
Judge Tierra Jones on Friday reset a status report for Jan. 7 after Chief Deputy Clark County District Attorney Alexander Chen told her there are appeals pending before the Nevada Supreme Court and hearings are set next week in U.S. District Court in Las Vegas.
Clark County District Court Judge Jacqueline Bluth could be asked in January to issue a Floyd's death warrant. He was convicted and sentenced in 2000 to die for killing four people and wounding a fifth in a 1999 shotgun attack at a Las Vegas grocery store.
Floyd's lethal injection would be the first in Nevada since Daryl Mack was executed in 2006 for a 1988 rape and murder in Reno.
A state attorney told U.S. District Judge Richard Boulware II last week that prison officials face a Feb. 28 expiration date for one of the drugs they plan to use to put Floyd to death.
Boulware plans to hear testimony next Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday about the constitutionality of the state execution plan.