Phoenix, Tucson downtown protests appear largely peaceful

Protesters marched the streets of downtown Phoenix and Tucson Saturday after the cities' leaders implored them to refrain from violence.

View all (6)

The marches appeared to be largely peaceful, according to local media reports. On Saturday night, however, Phoenix police had to defend the department's headquarters.

Shortly after 10 p.m., Phoenix police said a large geoup of protesters downtown had become an unlawful assembly, the Arizona Republic reported. The police said they needed to disperse immediately.

The protesters were seen kneeling with their hands up in the streets outside Phoenix police and municipal buildings, the Republic reported. They chanted, “Hands up, don’t shoot” and “Black lives matter.”

Phoenix police stood in full riot gear outside the front entrance of the police department headquarters with the sound and smoke of numerous flash-bang grenades, the newspaper reported.

In the upscale Phoenix suburb of Scottsdale, damage was reported late Saturday night at the Fashion Square mall, the Republic reported Windows were seen busted out of multiple stores around the mall, including Neiman Marcus and Urban Outfitters, the newspaper reported. Scottsdale police said the area sustained property damage.

The Scottsdale Police Department issued a statement saying that “officers are on scene dealing with large numbers of citizens, some of whom have chosen to commit criminal acts. Peaceful assembly is a protected activity. Criminal acts are not. This has now been declared an unlawful assembly. All people should avoid the area or risk arrest,” the KPNX TV station reported.

Earlier Saturday, the mayors of Phoenix and Tucson said some protesters caused extensive and unnecessary property damage Friday night. In Phoenix, cleanup crews swept up broken glass in front of boarded-up doors and windows and used a power-wash to remove spray-painted messages on a building.

Friday's Phoenix protest unfolded after a vigil for Dion Johnson, who was fatally shot Monday during an encounter with state trooper along a freeway. Around 15 downtown Phoenix buildings, including the Sandra Day O’Connor U.S. Courthouse, sustained broken windows, according to authorities. Protesters also slashed the tires of seven police SUVs and attempted to set one vehicle on fire. Two people were arrested.

Phoenix Mayor Kate Gallego, flanked by the police chief and community leaders at a news conference, said acts of violence and property damage committed by a few were unacceptable and weren’t helping protesters’ cause.

“We will not stand for this violence and destruction,” Gallego said. “This is our city, we love this city. We have to work together ...”

Tucson Mayor Regina Romero issued a similar message at her own news conference.

“What I saw was not Tucson. And it’s not going to be what moves us forward. Violence only brings violence,” Romero said.

Some of the more than 350 protesters there vandalized businesses, set dumpster fires and hurled projectiles at officers, Police Chief Chris Magnus said. Three people were arrested for obstruction and one for aggravated assault on a police officer.

Magnus said he was hoping for a more peaceful protest Saturday. He also acknowledged that people were hurting and agreed that Floyd's death after a Minneapolis police officer knelt on his neck should never have happened.

“It’s a very tough time for police, but an even tougher time to be a black person in this country,” Magnus said.

Phoenix Police Chief Jeri Williams said Phoenix was asking other law enforcement agencies for aid. Also, police would be more proactive in dispersing an unlawful assembly, she said.

“What we tolerated last night will not be tolerated today,” Williams said. “Officers will and must take action to protect the safety of all involved.”

Protests have erupted in U.S. cities in the days since Floyd's death Monday.

The Rev. Jarrett Maupin, an organizer of the Thursday night protest, said tonight's protest would be "more of a teach-in and a reach-out."

Gov. Doug Ducey said in a statement that he and the state Department of Public Safety director respected protesters' rights to assemble.

“We will not, however, tolerate rioting, looting, violence, destruction of property or any behavior that endangers the safety or rights of other individuals,” said Ducey, who made no mention of Floyd's or Johnson's deaths.

Johnson was shot during a struggle after a trooper found him passed out in his vehicle. Phoenix police are investigating.

Johnson’s mother, Erma, told the Arizona Republic that her son never would have engaged in a struggle with police, and she questioned the police account.

“It’s a lot of things that I want to know that happened to my son in the last minutes of his life,” she said.


Dion Johnson's last name has been corrected in two references in this story.

Places in this Story

Organizations in this Story

People in the Story