Latest Poisoning News

Editorial Roundup: Tennessee

Jan. 15, 2020 2:08 PM EST

Recent editorials from Tennessee newspapers: ___ Jan. 14 The Johnson City Press on filling out the Census form: Want to pay more taxes? Here’s a surefire way to inspire a hike — ignore your U.S. Census survey. As Press Staff Writer David Floyd reported in Monday’s edition, Johnson City...

Tests: No carbon monoxide in baby deaths at housing complex

Jan. 9, 2020 4:11 PM EST

DURHAM, N.C. (AP) — North Carolina's state medical examiner's office said Thursday that it found no sign of carbon monoxide poisoning in the deaths of two infants at a public housing community where the gas has forced evacuations. The Office of the Chief Medical Examiner issued a news release Thursday...

Bozeman woman dies of carbon monoxide poisoning

Dec. 30, 2019 2:03 PM EST

BOZEMAN, Mont. (AP) — A Bozeman woman has died from carbon monoxide poisoning and another person was hospitalized after a car was accidentally left running in a garage attached to a residence, city officials said Monday. Emergency crews responded to a report of a “strange odor” at about 11:15...

Coroner report says WSU student died from alcohol poisoning

Dec. 24, 2019 1:19 PM EST

PULLMAN, Wash. (AP) — The cause of death for a Washington State University student found unconscious at a fraternity has been confirmed as an accident. KOMO-TV reports Sam Martinez, 19, died Nov. 12 from acute alcohol poisoning, according to the Whitman County Medical Examiner. Pullman police originally...

FILE - This 2008 file photo shows boiled eggs in a bowl. In December 2019, U.S. health officials investigating a listeria outbreak are telling food service operators not to use hard-boiled eggs sold by the Georgia company Almark Foods. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says seven people in five states have been reported ill so far. That includes one death in Texas. (AP Photo/Larry Crowe)

Food poisoning linked to hard-boiled eggs in food service

Dec. 19, 2019 4:37 PM EST

NEW YORK (AP) — Pregnant women, people over the age of 65 and people with weakened immune systems should throw away store-bought hard-boiled eggs because of a food poisoning outbreak linked to a Georgia company, health officials said Thursday. They said the same goes for products like egg salad that...

Carbon monoxide poisoning likely killed girl, documents say

Dec. 12, 2019 5:21 PM EST

TOPEKA, Kan. (AP) — Carbon monoxide poisoning is the apparent cause of death for a 4-year-old Nebraska girl, whose Kansas grandfather is charged with first-degree murder. The Topeka Capital-Journal on Thursday cited Shawnee County District Court records related to the death of Brandy Funk. Testing found a...

7 sickened by carbon monoxide during DC boat parade

Dec. 9, 2019 2:50 AM EST

WASHINGTON (AP) — At least seven people, including three children, were sickened by an apparent carbon dioxide leak while taking part in an annual holiday boat parade in Washington, D.C., authorities say. Authorities responded to a parading 32-foot boat Saturday night after someone aboard fell unconscious...

California university sued over student’s hazing death

Nov. 29, 2019 7:01 PM EST

FULLERTON, Calif. (AP) — Parents of a 19-year-old woman who died of alcohol poisoning are suing her sorority and California State University, Fullerton, claiming her death was due to hazing. The Orange County Register says the parents of Bea Castro filed the negligence and wrongful death suit this week....

No criminal charges in public housing poisoning deaths of 2

Nov. 27, 2019 3:45 PM EST

COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) — No criminal charges will be filed in the carbon monoxide deaths of two people at a Columbia public housing complex in part because South Carolina lacks a criminal negligence law, a prosecutor said Wednesday. The men died in January in separate apartments in the same building at the...

Children treated for carbon monoxide exposure at day care

Nov. 25, 2019 5:07 PM EST

ATLANTA (AP) — Authorities in Georgia say several children at a day care center are being treated for exposure to carbon monoxide. Atlanta Fire Department spokesman Sgt. Cortez Stafford told news outlets that at least three children were being treated for exposure to carbon monoxide Monday. The symptoms...