PHILADELPHIA (AP) — The Latest on child sexual abuse charges against a man who founded and ran a Kenyan orphanage (all times local):
An American man accused of sexually abusing four girls who lived in the Kenyan orphanage that he founded will remain behind bars, at least for the next few days.
A federal judge in Philadelphia on Friday ordered 60-year-old Gregory Dow, of Lancaster, Pennsylvania, temporarily detained until a hearing Wednesday on his status.
Federal prosecutors say Dow is a flight risk, noting he left Kenya in 2017, just as police were investigating sex abuse allegations at the Dow Family Children's Home in Boito.
He is accused of violating a U.S. law against sexual contact with minors in foreign countries.
Federal prosecutors say a Pennsylvania man sexually molested four teenage girls at a Kenyan orphanage he founded with a church's help.
U.S. Attorney William McSwain announced charges Friday against 60-year-old Gregory Dow, of Lancaster, hours after Dow was taken into custody.
McSwain says Dow fled Kenya in September 2017 after being accused in that country of sexual abuse of girls at the Dow Family Children's Home in Boito, Kenya.
A tipster contacted the Lancaster County prosecutors' office last year. That started an investigation that produced the new charges that he violated a U.S. law against sexual contact with minors in foreign countries.
Dow told the LNP newspaper this year that he had not done anything wrong.
He is expected to appear in federal court in Philadelphia on Friday.