DAVENPORT, Iowa (AP) — A man overcome by smoke while searching for two dogs during a Davenport house fire has been hospitalized.
Firefighters were sent to the house around 11:30 p.m. Saturday. A passer-by had noticed the fire and broke a window to wake up residents Veronica and George Porter. They got out, but he went back in to look for the dogs. The dogs eventually were rescued.
Veronica Porter also praised the actions of Athena Owens and her boyfriend, Dave Smith. They called 911 after seeing the flames, and he broke the window to alert the Porters.