Bounce house sparks fire, power outages in Utah neighborhood

DRAPER, Utah (AP) — A bounce house in Utah has started a fire that left thousands of residents without power after strong winds lifted the inflatable into nearby power lines.

The Drape Fire Department says nobody was injured and that crews responded Thursday to the scene and put out the fire while closing nearby traffic because of downed power lines.

Authorities say a neighborhood business was setting up the bounce house, a pumpkin patch and corn maze for a Halloween event in Draper south of Salt Lake City.

Witnesses say there were gentle winds at the time of the accident but a rogue gust of wind took everyone by surprise and lifted the inflatable away.

Rocky Mountain Power says more than 3,500 customers were without power in the city and surrounding areas.