SOUTH BURLINGTON, Vt. (AP) — The middle and high schools in South Burlington, Vermont, had been on lockdown for part of Thursday afternoon after the school administration received word that some students were being threatened by other students claiming to be armed, the superintendent said.
“We want to begin by letting all of you know that all students and staff in the school buildings are safe at this time," Superintendent David Young said in a letter to parents, WCAX-TV reported.
Young's letter said that the administration at F. H. Tuttle Middle School received word of the threat. Both that school and South Burlington High School immediately went into lockdown and the police were contacted.
The station reported that local and state police were at the scene earlier with shotguns. Some wore helmets and ballistic vests. Police started removing that gear at about 2:30 p.m.
The lockdown was later lifted and students were asked to remain in their classrooms, Young said.
Police and administrators are investigating.
Police Chief Shawn Burke said in a news release that there is no threat to the public or school safety at this time. Burke said all of those involved in the incident are juveniles.