Lincoln man charged in fatal beating pleads not guilty

LINCOLN, Neb. (AP) — A Lincoln man charged with manslaughter and assault in the beating to death of another man has pleaded not guilty to the charges.

Mark Hietbrink, 49, was arraigned Wednesday via video from the county jail, the Lincoln Journal Star reported. His trial date has not yet been set.

Police have said that Heitbrink and 44-year-old Jonathan Olson had been dating the same woman last year. On Oct. 11, Olson went to Heitbrink’s house to retrieve some of the woman’s property, police said, and that’s when Heitbrink attacked Olson. Olson died at a Lincoln hospital six days later.

Police first described Olson’s death as suspicious, but it later was ruled a homicide. Heitbrink wasn't arrested in the case until February.