8 people ill as Provo church evacuated for carbon monoxide

PROVO, Utah (AP) — Authorities say a Provo meetinghouse of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints had to be evacuated after carbon monoxide was detected inside.

Provo Fire Department officials say eight people were taken to hospitals for treatment.

The Daily Herald reports that Station 22 in Provo first received a dispatched medical call at the church around 11 a.m. Sunday about one person feeling ill.

When they responded to the scene, the firefighters' carbon monoxide sensors began going off and they evacuated the building.

Authorities say they isolated the problem to a boiler inside the building.

Provo Fire officials say it's unclear what caused the boiler to let off the dangerous gas.

___

Information from: The Daily Herald, http://www.heraldextra.com

Places in this Story