1 case at nursing home; lacrosse tournament canceled

BURLINGTON, Vt. (AP) — A new resident under quarantine at a Burlington nursing home has tested positive for COVID-19, the illness caused by the coronavirus.

Health Commissioner Dr. Mark Levine said Tuesday that the person was under a quarantine for new admissions at Elderwood.

“We should actually record this positive case as a success story,” Levine said. “And the reasons I say that is because this case involved an individual who was actually under quarantine already at the facility. ”

The senior care facility said family members of residents have been notified and limited outdoor visitation has been suspended for 28 days.

“Elderwood has implemented established isolation and infection control protocols as well as those protocols consistent with recommendations from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the Vermont State Department of Health for persons suspected of having the virus. This includes comprehensive COVID-19 testing of all residents and staff,” it said in a statement.

The protocols call for new residents to be isolated, tested periodically and monitored for 14 days following admission and staff caring them are required to wear full personal protective equipment, it said.

In other coronavirus-related developments:

——-

LACROSSE TOURNAMENT

Organizers of a lacrosse tournament in Stowe say they have canceled the event after receiving threats.

The annual Stowe LAX Classic was scheduled for the weekend of July 18-19 and has drawn thousands to Vermont. Some residents told WCAX-TV that they were concerned about out-of-staters coming to Vermont amid the coronavirus pandemic. The event for boys' and girls' lacrosse has drawn 3,000 to 5,000 people to Stowe in previous years.

Organizers told the station in an email that they were receiving threats from local residents so decided to cancel the tournament.

____

THE NUMBERS

Vermont reported two new confirmed cases of the coronavirus on Wednesday for a total of 1,256 cases so far. Two people were hospitalized with COVID-19, according to the state Health Department. No new deaths have been reported for nearly three weeks.

The Health Department added a new section to its COVID-19 dashboard Wednesday that displays the number of new cases in each of Vermont's 14 counties in the last two weeks. The site says the section helps give a better picture of where COVID-19 is most active geographically.

Over the last two weeks the top four counties with new cases are Chittenden, with 42; Rutland with 14; Franklin with eight; and Windham with six.

“When looking at the county numbers, please remember that low or no recent cases is not the same as ‘safer,'” the site said. “We know the virus is in our communities and we should continue to follow health guidance to slow the spread of COVID-19 – no matter what county we live in or visit.”