Latest Personal finance News

Michigan car insurance fee falling to $100 a vehicle in July

Nov. 13, 2019 6:47 PM EST

LANSING, Mich. (AP) — Michigan drivers who want unlimited medical coverage for crash injuries will pay $100 per vehicle starting in July, which will be 55% less than the record-high $220 annual fee they currently pay. The Michigan Catastrophic Claims Association, a state-created nonprofit entity that...

Homeowners expected to seek help after foundations ruling

Nov. 13, 2019 6:00 PM EST

HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) — The superintendent of the captive insurance company that’s providing financial relief to homeowners with crumbling foundations says he expects dozens more affected homeowners will soon seek help, given recent action by the Connecticut State Supreme Court. Connecticut’s...

House approves cap on insulin costs, plan returns to Senate

Nov. 13, 2019 4:44 PM EST

SPRINGFIELD, Ill. (AP) — The Illinois House has approved legislation to cap the amount diabetes patients must pay for insulin to $100 a month. The vote Wednesday to answer skyrocketing prescription insulin costs was 100-13. The Senate has approved the idea but a change in the House requires another Senate...

Maine electricity customers to get a break in 2020

Nov. 13, 2019 4:32 PM EST

AUGUSA, Maine (AP) — The Maine Public Utilities Commission says most residential and business customers will be paying less for electricity from the state’s two largest utilities in 2020. The MPUC said the standard offer prices for the electricity supply portion of the bill for Central Maine Power...

Editorials from around Pennsylvania

Nov. 13, 2019 3:53 PM EST

Recent editorials of statewide and national interest from Pennsylvania's newspapers: Poor condition of many state dams should worry every Pennsylvanian The York Dispatch Nov. 13 Infrastructure isn’t the most scintillating topic. For most folks, it probably rates somewhere between researching tax deductions...

Deadline nears for Maryland uninsured motorist debt amnesty

Nov. 13, 2019 3:02 PM EST

ANNAPOLIS, Md. (AP) — Time is running out for uninsured motorists in Maryland to take advantage of a program that forgives 80 percent of uninsured-driving debts that became delinquent before 2017. Debtors have until Dec. 31 to register for the program and begin repaying the remaining 20 percent of their...

Editorials from around New York

Nov. 13, 2019 2:59 PM EST

Recent editorials of statewide and national interest from New York's newspapers: The Tax Increases to Come Wall Street Journal Nov. 12 The Democratic candidates for President are promising a smorgasbord of new taxes, but why wait until 2021? Last week Maryland Senator Chris Van Hollen and Virginia Congressman Don...

Google plans to offer checking accounts

Nov. 13, 2019 2:06 PM EST

NEW YORK (AP) — Google plans to add checking accounts from Citigroup and a credit union to its Google Pay digital wallet in 2020, the tech company said Wednesday. Google confirmed an earlier report by The Wall Street Journal. Big tech companies have been pushing into other arenas such as finance and health...

Cold snap may be your signal to get new tires for winter

Nov. 13, 2019 12:19 PM EST

DETROIT (AP) — With the eastern two-thirds of the U.S. shivering through an early blast of arctic air, it’s time to start thinking about whether your car’s tires will get you safely through the winter. Italian tiremaker Pirelli last week started a campaign telling people that winter tires...

LA's Gómez elected 1st Hispanic to lead US Catholic bishops

Nov. 12, 2019 3:28 PM EST

BALTIMORE (AP) — Archbishop José Gómez of Los Angeles, an immigrant from Mexico, pledged to push for a more welcoming immigration system after winning election Tuesday as the first Hispanic to head the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops. "I'm humbled by your support," said Gómez, whose...